Sunday, October 2, 2016

Orlando 1.1



I guess I finally have the time and motivation to blog about my Disney work and trip experience.
I've been wanting to do this for the longest time but i have been procrastinating, of course. Additionally, losing my phone in the US made it harder for me to blog well.... because all the photos I've taken have gone down the drain.
Thankfully though, I invested in a camera back during the Amazon Summer Sale this year. (phew - count that as a photo-saving asset?)

I was just scrolling my Facebook feed when I realised that its the 45th Anniversary of Walt Disney World! All the photos and comments made me reminisce the amazing time I had back there. It's insane how everything just flashes by so quickly and now that I'm back to reality it feels entirely surreal. Just a span of one year and I've seen and learnt so much. More on that later.

In the mean time, I should probably get on with this post since everything is still fresh in my mind and has been put in retrospect.


Guess I'll start with how I actually got my ass to apply for this job, and I really Thank God for how blessed I am to be given this opportunity.

I still remember the very first time that I've ever heard about WDW - I was working in the office and data entry got kinda boring so I wandered off to YouTube in secret to play my favourite Disney songs to keep my momentum steady.

That was when I saw the "Walt Disney World 2016 Vacation Planning Video" at the side bar and I gave it a click - it was a full one hour video but also -
THE BEST DECISION EVER. 
(Fun Fact: Walt Disney World has 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, 20 resorts (and is bigger than Singapore itself)

I also remember I was meeting my KC clique for dinner that day at Supply and Demand. I started telling them about all the amazing finds that I chanced upon watching that 1-hour YouTube video, and they were all telling me how I shouldn't give them spoilers about the fun we'd have and that we should definitely plan a trip there together in the future. (I'm sorry I went ahead first, haha!)

Honestly, I've been such a big fan of Disney since I was a kid.
I've watched every Disney movie at least 5 times and I can sing the exact lyrics to every Disney classic. I've always dreamt of going to at least a Disney theme park or becoming a Disney Princess - despite how boyish I've been all my life (surprise, surprise!) and even though my parents brought me up with expectations of being a boy (#asianparentsthingamajig).
I practically wandered my entire life how exciting it would be to be able to create the same magic that Disney has created for me.
Walt Disney has been such a huge inspiration. Besides, I believe exceptional customer service is one of the most essential employee disposition that any business should have.
Anyways, main point - Disney was all I have ever dreamt about.

I continued researching about opportunities and of course, silly me - I randomly decided to apply for an internship there, not expecting with a second thought to be able to be offered an interview opportunity. I am eternally grateful towards all my close friends who supported and pushed me to apply despite how uncertain i was and (turns out that it wasn't exactly a silly decision after all, haha)

It was weeks and weeks of waiting, even though deep down I kinda knew I wouldn't be given a chance - it's so competitive since millions all over the world are constantly applying to be given an opportunity like mine. At that point in time I haven't even told my parents that I applied for an opportunity that was 16000 kilometres away from my tiny island.

After two long weeks which felt like years, I finally received an email from Disney stating that I was selected for the interview and I had to fly over to Bangkok for it. I immediately exclaimed and screamed so loud with excitement, I swore the entire HDB block heard me. Very obviously I booked my air tickets to Bangkok without hesitation - I mean how many chances in a lifetime do you ever get such an opportunity bestowed upon you?! (Ha, and i skipped a week of school for it - what's university without a little truancy, yes?)

During the interview in Bangkok, I met two amazing girls and we're still in contact now even though it has been a year since the interview (the land of smiles never disappoints). We were so excited during the interview that we got ahead of ourselves and planned to room together if we got selected for the internship!
She had a twin sister that coincidentally was the only girl out of the entire Thailand batch to be selected to work as the exact same role as me! Couldn't have been more blessed.

Fast forward to a long and arduous month or so - I got accepted and YES I'M GOING TO WALT DISNEY WORLD, ORLANDO. The best part? Free entry to parks with provided accommodation during my internship and last but not least, I get to actually make magic for all our guests!




Finally arrived in Orlando, I spent hours immersing myself from the sights and sounds, and I never felt more relieved to be away from the constant hustle and bustle of my home city.

I suppose everyone feels exceptionally nervous about when they'd are in a new and unfamiliar place, but it made be feel reinvigorated. I went about and walked from morning till evening every day, without the help of Google Maps cause I haven't gotten a sim card haha.

It was amazing just exploring state parks and getting myself assimilated in this new place. Buying the essentials such as a US sim card and stuff. Trying amazing and cheap diners - which till now I still cannot believe the American portion size. Soaking in the new atmosphere and meeting new people - I swear road drivers just pull over to let you cross the road even if you're jay walking and they take the time to make a basic conversation to know how you're doing. It's such a huge difference from the drivers in Singapore - ha ha god.. I'd probably be run over.

downtown orlando

Sunday farmer's market adjunct to my neighbourhood

4pm, coffee, and scenic terraces

lake rowena // henry p leu gardens

Star Dust Cafe - says it all doesn't it

don't think i've ever told anyone how much i love to sip a decent cup of coffee and just read - well Star Dust was practically my perfect hangout spot.

I guess I'll end my first phase of exploration here. More on my Disney experience next.
Till next time, xx!

No comments: